We're looking for a Cloud Systems Engineer to join our team in London as part of our Technology function.
On a day-to day basis, the role holder will be responsible for owning and contributing to the success of Ascential’s cloud infrastructure projects and overall architecture, with a specific focus on the client facing front end systems ensuring that we consider AWS Best Practices, Architectural Efficiency, Capacity, Security and Cost Optimisation. The role holder will also provide 3rd line assistance to escalated problems and major incidents, occasionally providing out of hours cover (paid in addition to salary).
This role sits within a focussed team operating in a fast paced and multi-faceted business, using a wide variety of the latest technologies. The ideal candidate is experienced in cloud-based tech (predominantly AWS), with a firm grasp of emerging technologies, platforms, and applications, and ability to customise them to help our business become more secure and efficient. Extensive knowledge of cloud maintenance, and industry knowledge is key, and the role is a good opportunity for anyone wishing to move into an Architectural role.
- Cloud implementation - Design & Deploy
- Design skills coupled with an ability to articulate and document design to a high standard following best practice methodologies
- Strong understanding of enterprise cloud architectural solutions
- Collaborating with our global engineering teams to identify and implement the most optimal cloud-based solutions for the company
- Managing cloud environments in accordance with company security guidelines
- Troubleshoot incidents, identify root cause, fix and document problems, and implement preventive measures
- Educate teams on the implementation of new cloud-based initiatives, providing associated training as required
- Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they affect business productivity
- Orchestrating and automating cloud-based platforms throughout the company
- Stay current with industry trends, making recommendations as needed to help the company excel
- Ensuring that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats
- AWS Solutions Architect Certification
- Certification/knowledge of Azure or GCP
- Experience of working with Data Science, Data Lakes and Data Analytics teams
- Working knowledge of Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Puppet, Ansible, New Relic, Prometheus, IaC
- Experience of working within and understand of a well-architected framework
- Three to five years’ experience in a Cloud Engineer role or related position
- Strong understanding of AWS VPC, Subnets, Routing, VPC peering, Transit Gateway, VPN etc
- Understanding of Cloud Database technologies, including Aurora, RDS, Redshift, DynamoDB, Elasticache
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to stay focused on completing tasks and meeting goals within a busy workspace, working on multiple projects in parallel
- Ability to deploy, manage, and operate scalable, highly available, and fault-tolerant systems
- Working in a mixed Windows and Linux software environment
What We Offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loan
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Cycle to Work; Retail Vouchers; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex; Gadget Insurance, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
We also place great importance on health, lifestyle and wellbeing consistently, in which you will have the options to fuel up on free fruit, attend yoga sessions, join our running club, or perhaps taking up on a lunchtime massages.
At Ascential, our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Ascential people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For more information on our culture, visit Ascential.com.
Ascential is a specialist, global, information company that helps the world’s most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy.
Want More Info?
Find out more on what our people say:
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us?