We're looking for a GIS Technician to join our team in Brighton as part of our Content function.
The role primarily involves the collection and management of spatial data. The successful candidate will support the ongoing maintenance, update and creation of vast amounts of data, GIS and data management applications /processes at Groundsure. They will also support the management and delivery of data and historical mapping export products to our clients. Ensuring our data requirements are met on a day to day basis and the accuracy / integrity of our data. Candidates should at least be educated to degree level or similar in a GIS or earth sciences subject. A good understanding of GIS and its practical application is essential. This would be an ideal role for a recent graduate looking to start a career in GIS or Environmental Consultancy.
- Ensure accurate and timely update and supply of third-party data
- Data creation, collection and quality assurance
- Daily data management tasks
- Quality assurance and delivery of Groundsure historical map and data products
- Supporting the GIS/ Operations team with larger projects where required
- Provide technical support for teams throughout Groundsure
- Maintain good working relationships with our data providers and clients
- Testing and verifying newly acquired data
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of the GIS sector including software developments
- Contribute to development supporting workflow/ process efficiency
- Degree in GIS or related subject. Current undergraduates will be considered if available full time
- Experience using GIS; QGIS, ESRI, MapInfo and Geoserver preferred. Other open source GIS skills beneficial
- Experience working with a variety of data sources and formats
- Experience with FME, PostgreSQL and basic SQL beneficial
- Adept with G Suite
- Organised & able to multi-task
- Adept at numeracy and basic geometry
- Precise and accurate, a high attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Works well within a team
- Demonstrably high initiative
- Good analytical / problem solving skills
- An understanding of the concept of data in relational databases
- Genuine enthusiasm to learn and find solutions
- The role includes scope to develop skills using various software and programming languages including QGIS, FME, ArcMap, PostgreSQL, Geoserver, Python and SQL. Maintaining skills in and knowledge of developments in these and the wider GIS sector are actively encouraged, ensuring continued development of our data department
What We Offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loans
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Childcare Vouchers; Cycle to Work; Retail Vouchers; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex; Gadget Insurance, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
We also place great importance on health, lifestyle and wellbeing consistently, in which you will have the options to fuel up on free fruit, attend yoga sessions, join our running club, or perhaps taking up on a lunchtime massages.
At Ascential, our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Ascential people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For more information on our culture, visit Ascential.com.
We offer location intelligence to allow the smartest land and property decisions. We are a UK authority on environmental risks, providing high value, property-specific opinions, and analysis of land use based on the leading datasets that we collect and curate.
We offer all our employees training and support from day one, creating a team orientated atmosphere where we celebrate success and collectively work towards common goals. We offer the responsibility to stretch yourself in a lively and fast-growing market space.
Groundsure is an Ascential brand. Ascential is a specialist, global, information company that helps the world’s most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy.
Want More Info?
Find out more on what our people say:
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us?