Due to an internal move, we are seeking to appoint a Group Financial Controller to join the head office team. The successful candidate will work closely with the Group CFO, other members of the Executive and the wider finance teams within the various Group business units.
Having experienced strong financial performance since IPO and very active in M&A notably in the USA, the business is poised for the next stage in its development. The finance team will embark on a thorough review of its function in 2019 and the role will play a key role in the design and implementation of a new operating model for finance.
For an experienced and ambitious Group Financial Controller, this represents a unique opportunity to develop your career in what is a highly visible role working alongside a talented, strategic and highly focused Executive team and Board of Directors.
- PLC reporting and governance
- External reporting for H1 and FY including lead on external audit and authorship (in conjunction with the Company Secretary and the Head of Communications) of the Annual Report.
- Management of Audit Committee reporting (5x pa) and production of comprehensive and timely papers
- Ownership of accounting policies including authorship of policies manual and implementation of new IFRS across the group
- Setting the standards of internal financial control across the Group, including establishment of robust controls self-assessment process against a pre-determined minimum standard
- Contributor to the Group’s overall risk processes including authorship of relevant sections of annual report
- Monthly balance sheet reviews and spot checks across the business driving improvements in controls and general balance sheet hygiene
- Establish a community of financial controllers across the group to drive efficiency and best practice
- Taxation – line management of tax function including compliance (tax returns), complex high value US loss planning, transfer pricing, VAT compliance, international tax, complex tax accounting.
- Line management of the outsourced Shared Services functions covering Procure to Pay and Close to Consolidate transactional activities and insourced overseas regional finance hubs.
- Drive efficiency whilst securing strong control environment and risk management in the financial processes of the Group Finance transformation
- Be part of the core executive team in charge of an ambitious finance transformation programme aiming to improve efficiency, compliance & control and the quality of finance outcomes (notably business insight) through a thorough review of technology, process and people.
- The programme will also deliver clearer career path and development opportunities to the finance team.
Overall, the role has 4 direct and 47 indirect reports.
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other activities you are required to deliver.
- Graduate qualified accountant (preferably Big 4 ACA) with sound technical accounting skills.
- Prior similar Group Financial Controller experience in a FTSE 100 or FTSE 250 or Financial Controller experience for a large region/ division in a blue-chip listed company.
- Prior experience in finance transformation in a blue chip / FTSE company is a plus
- Strong cost control experience, including tight working capital and treasury management. • Leadership and people management experience.
- Ability to provide meaningful and insightful commercial financial information.
- Hands-on and willing to get involved in the detail.
- Prior Audit Committee and Board experience.
- Intelligence and analytical skills
- Internationally minded and strong track record in talent development and leadership of cross border matrixed teams.
- Strong, robust personality who can ensure that internal controls are in place and adhered to throughout the business.
- Attention to detail with up to date technical skills.
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- Comfortable working in a small head office, be highly organized and enjoy working in a culture of change/growth.
- Drive and hunger.
What we offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loans
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Childcare Vouchers; Cycle to Work; Retail Vouchers; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex; Gadget Insurance, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
We also place great importance on health, lifestyle and wellbeing consistently, in which you will have the options to fuel up on free fruit, attend yoga sessions, join our running club, or perhaps taking up on a lunchtime massages.
Ascential is a specialist, global, information company that helps the world’s most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy.
Want more info?
Find out more on what our people say:
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us