We're looking for a Head of Data Science to join our team in London. The role will work across Ascential and cover two main areas:
- Project-based delivery – Working within virtual teams to deliver complex analytics and world class big data solutions. The role will play a key part in helping the different Ascential brands use data more effectively to improve operational processes related to sales, marketing, product and finance
- Development of Big Data solutions – Work with the wider Data & Insight team to develop revenue forecast models, customer segmentations, churn models, customer lifetime value and recommendation systems. You will play a part in testing the output through practical application, working with business teams to use the model output and measure the impact
- Delivering best in class big data solutions that improve the performance of key business processes (e.g. Renewal targeting, revenue forecasting, segmentation)
- Identifying key data sources required to solve the business and undertaking data collection, pre-processing and analysis
- Presenting information using data visualization techniques
- Evaluating the model performance
- Partnering with key business stakeholder, to deliver core capabilities into the business, and ensuring adoption of the capabilities is embedded within the business
- Lead automation of manual processes
- Lead the research and development, and implementation of new and improved forecasting methods to improve accuracy
- Support internal stakeholders with data queries
- Prototype new ways to visualize and understand data relationships
- Innovate and looking for new ways to solve business problems to drive ROI
- Define robust measurement methodology to assess and track the value deliver through the capabilities deliver into the business
- MSc or higher in Statistics, Mathematics, Machine Learning or other quantitative scientific discipline
- Previous relevant industry experience in an advanced Analytics and Data Science role, with commercial exposure to modelling customers, sales/revenue forecasting, customer segmentation and digital marketing, etc.
- Experience of taking a project from manipulating raw data, through exploratory analysis and algorithmic development, to production and ongoing improvement
- Demonstrate where previous work has led to tangible financial benefits
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Forests of Decision Trees, Online Learning etc.
- Excellent applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Extensive experience with common data science toolkits, such as DataRobot, R, Weka, NumPy, Spark ML. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Experience working with data pipelines and modelling in a production environment
- Expert data visualisation knowledge—Experience with Tableau or Looker highly preferred
- Experience of using Cloud based platforms and tools
- Great communication skills, comfortable taking complex ideas and communicating them to different audiences
- Self-sufficient with the ability to work autonomously when needed
- An entrepreneurial mindset who figures out how to improve business processes and finds opportunities to apply data science techniques to real problems
- An expert in SQL and RDBMS concepts, including experience in working with large datasets
- Good scripting and programming skills using languages like Python and R
- Understanding of Salesforce (desirable)
What We Offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loans
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Childcare Vouchers; Cycle to Work; Retail Vouchers; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex; Gadget Insurance, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
Ascential is a specialist, global, information company that helps the world’s most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy.
Want More Info?
Find out more on what our people say:
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us?