We're looking for a Retail Product & Operations Manager to join our team in London as part of our Management function.
The Retail Services Team has an opportunity for a Retail Product & Operations Manager. We’re looking for an experienced Product & Operations Manager with an ‘all in’ attitude to join our team to help drive our future growth as well as operational efficiencies and help to create thoughtful digital products that have lasting impact for our customers.
At Retail Services, we believe that quality is the responsibility of the entire group that creates the product. This role will drive the product direction for the Product and Engineering team, finding solutions to customers problems and helping the teams do their best work and build software that delights our users. It’s an exciting time for Retail Services and we need the right talent to continue working with smart, multidisciplinary teams tackling big problems.
The Product & Operations Manager will work closely with Customer Success and Insights teams, as well as our customers directly to deliver the product strategy and vision and will work with the Engineering team day to day to see that manifest into product. You will need to gain a deep knowledge of the market and our user needs through research and interaction with customers and use this knowledge to co-create product solutions.
In addition to these core product responsibilities the role will manage a newly off-shored operations team that provide the services we need to keep our product operational and deliver our customers high quality data. These are a key part of our business success and will require someone prepared to be hands on, in the detail and working to deliver the best possible overall experience to our customers. This part of the role is key to the success of our business and represents the pulse that keeps our customers up and running. It will rely on someone with critical thinking and the ability to spin many plates and have an eye for continuous service improvement.
What you’ll do:
- This is a ‘deep’ product role where you will contribute to the definition of the product vision and follow it through the lifecycle to delivery and the ongoing operation. You will be in the detail and a key part of the action day to day
- You know how to translate a product vision into a tangible, refined backlog of work and be obsessive about creating great products and getting out of the building and learning from our customers
- Be the champion of your products and ensure they match our vision and our organisation's passion to serve our customers
- Act as a connection and work across multiple stakeholders to create great products. You will be expected to engage with stakeholders translating business needs and requirements into high quality solutions
- Manage our operations team to ensure they are delivering to expected SLAs, review their performance and ensure that together we are always looking for ways to improve our processes and ensure our customers' needs are served
- Work closely with Marketing to plan and coordinate the launch of new functionality and drive sales and adoption
- You become an expert in the market needs and captures and prioritise user needs and feedback as a major input to the product roadmap
- Deeply know the user needs that you’re tackling through research and regular interaction with customers; record this research in a structured way
- Manage the roadmap for your products and modules: capture suggestions from a wide range of inputs, understand and prioritise this work, prepare recommendations for the Leadership team via the product governance process
- Assess value, develop business cases, and prioritize stories, epics and themes to ensure work focuses on those with maximum value that are aligned with product strategy
- Works with the commercial teams to communicate user needs and provide feedback on solution designs
- Manage the relationship with our outsource partners, ensuring they meet SLA’s, are following appropriate processes, and working with Procurement to ensure we have the appropriate relationship to suit our business needs
- Ensures stories in the development backlog in Jira have sufficient detail and acceptance criteria, and communicate those stories to the engineering team
- Participate in team planning meetings and be available to provide advice, clarification and guidance during the execution of each release
- Coordinate customer testing for new releases of the modules or features you are responsible for
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales, CS and Ops on new launches
- Act as a point of contact for product questions for your product or modules from customer support
- Embed agile and by evangelising the approach and working with the Engineering Lead to develop an ever improving cultural and process
- Have a BSc or Master’s in a numerate discipline
- An accomplished product owner with (ideally 5+ years) experience in information services, digital platforms or SaaS.
- You get stuff done. You understand the importance of shipping and doing it quickly. You are ruthless at prioritization, and able to work collaboratively with the global product team to clarify, refine and understand the customer challenges.
- Experience in a customer-facing role - Able to put yourself in a customer’s shoes, building empathy through customer insight, research and data analysis
- Interest in the Product Lifecycle and innovation practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with experience engaging technical and non-technical audiences
- Organised approach to managing information
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver in global, cross-functional, and virtual teams
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, ‘all in’, dynamic environment
- Strong team leader and great at developing talent individuals, as this role has 5 reports
Nice to have
- B2B experience is desirable; A natural curiosity, passion and desire to solve problems for customers is prized above industry specialization
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with Engineering
- Some experience of business case development
- Experience working with third party offshore partners
What We Offer
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
- 25 days of holiday per year – with the option to buy or sell between 1-5 days
- Great learning and development opportunities
- Pension, Private Medical and Dental Insurance plans
- Life Assurance; Income Protection and Critical Illness covers
- Option to opt into the Ascential Shares Scheme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Season ticket loans
In addition, we offer flexible benefit packages that include Cycle to Work; Retail Vouchers; Gourmet Card; Gym Flex; Gadget Insurance, Health Assessments and Will Writing.
We also place great importance on health, lifestyle and wellbeing consistently, in which you will have the options to fuel up on free fruit, attend yoga sessions, join our running club, or perhaps taking up on a lunchtime massages.
At Ascential, our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Ascential people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
For more information on our culture, visit Ascential.com.
About Retail & Financial Services and Price & Promotion
From the news, analysis and corporate data offerings from Retail Week and Retail Week Prospect, to the hard data provision of UK and European Price and Promotions data and analysis and our market leading Retail Insights through to the connection we offer through World Retail Congress and Retail Week Live and our tailored data offerings for Hedge Funds, PEs and corporate financiers, Ascential Retail and FS covers it all.
We serve the leading retailers in the UK and beyond and the leading financial institutions globally.
The Price and Promotions business (P&P) provides UK retailers with up to date information at their fingertips helping them make better tactical and strategic pricing decisions within their business.
Price & Promotion is a part of the Ascential group. Ascential is a specialist, global, information company that helps the world’s most ambitious businesses win in the digital economy.
Want More Info?
Find out more on what our people say:
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us?